Thursday, March 29, 2018

Palmetto Bay takes any threat or risk seriously. Update - police presence - Malbrook area 176/87th Avenue late evening of March 28, 2018.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018, was a busy night for the Malbrook and surrounding areas.  Helicopters were circling and police were going door to door. The scene was cleared before midnight.  I am posting my morning update, post briefing, as to what occurred.  

I am pleased that this incident turned up nothing.  I am similarly pleased that the police personnel and assets were in place to properly and aggressively respond to any threat had it been an actual emergency. Palmetto Bay takes any threat seriously.
 
Please note that my response below is taken from my "Mayor's" Facebook page - posted at approximately 9:30 AM (3-29).  For those on Facebook, I ask that you "CLICK HERE" and like this page in order to follow the updates that I post on that site:

I am posting my official update as to the events last evening (Wednesday, March 28, 2018).
On Wed., 3/28, an off-duty police officer was on his way home with family in his personal vehicle near 87 Avenue and 176 street when the driver’s side window broke. It is still undetermined if this window break was due to a rock or other object thrown at the vehicle or if it was simply related to the car striking a pot hole.

It was in an abundance of caution that police investigated, in case this was an intentional act or represented any threat to the community. The cause remains unknown at present. The extensive police Investigation turned up no witnesses that could point to any offender. There were no casings or other evidence of any weapons or offenders. Police did interview a resident who was in her garage at the relevant time, who indicated that she did not hear anything (specifically no – and I repeat – NO gunshots were heard).

The police cleared the site after determining there was no threat to the area/our community.

I thank everyone for their concern and sharing the information they had. Our PIO did release what information we had, as it became available. I remain available to provide information that I have upon request.
Once again, my cell phone is 305-302-3713. My official email is eflinn@palmettobay-fl.gov

Your mayor,

Eugene Flinn

PS - I have received a request to investigate a text notification:
"Can the Village consider a text system where residents can register their phone numbers and receive text notifications in the event of community emergencies like last night. So much misinformation, nervousness and hysteria last night with little info for residents. Similar to the emergency text system that exists on College Campuses. Thanks for considering this idea."
This would be a system identical to the text alerts used at the Universities.  

Again, I am pleased that this incident turned up nothing.  The police assets were in place to properly and aggressively respond to any threat had it been an actual emergency.

Palmetto Bay did put out several Twitter "tweets", which would have been similar to text message (through not as specifically directed).  You can follow our official village twitter - Palmetto Bay - @PalmettoBayVlg

No comments:

Post a Comment