Thursday, November 30, 2017

Statement regarding public meeting regarding Cutler Plantation Property, 6 PM, 11/30/2017

I have received several questions and have come across several comments on various social media sources that I would like to address publicly.  At 6:00 PM tonight, I will hold my first-ever meeting with a developer outside of a zoning hearing. I called this meeting having it publicly noticed, inviting the public to be present, as I personally do not believe that any member of the village council should have ex parte communications on quasi-judicial (zoning) matters (see my prior post (CLICK HERE) on the "Jennings Rule". 

Other members of the council have met or will be meeting with the developers (and have on past issues – which I have not done in the past).  I do not want to be left out and I will NOT meet in private with any developers. I have therefore called this meeting held in public view (discussed at an open meeting).  Any/all village residents are invited to sit in and observe my meeting regarding this property.  You will be able to see any and all materials, including any plans and renderings presented so that Palmetto Bay residents are in the know as to what is presented to me.  This meeting will be the first of its kind, so I am looking forward to the cooperation of the presenters as well as those in attendance. 

I believe this is the only way to preserve transparency in government.  This provides additional public communication on an issue - and should prevent surprises.  Again, I have not and I will not meet in private with any developers on any issue that comes before the Village Council.  This meeting has been noticed as a Sunshine Meeting between Mayor Flinn and representatives of Florida Power & Light and CalAtlantic Group, Inc. See official Meeting Notice for details. (CLICK HERE) for official notice)

I look forward to seeing many residents in attendance. The meeting will be held in the council chambers.

And please note – this meeting is not a replacement for any other community workshops that this, or any other zoning applicants will hold relative the land use issues.

Your Mayor,


Eugen Flinn

4 comments:

  1. Not much notice to be meeting with a developer. Unfair to virtually all residents who haven't read your instant public notice. Doesn't there have to be time enough for folks to learn about the meeting, before you meet? Like at least a 24 hour posting of notice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I would add, my notice beats the no notice of those who meet privately with developers. Up to now, no one even suspects that a private meeting was held until time of hearing, when disclosures are made.

      Delete
  2. The meeting was officially noticed 8 days prior - November 22, 2017. My statement was an explanation, not notice. The meeting was also published and distributed to every person who receives the "Your Village At Work" e-blasts - specifically, the e-mail blast of Thursday, November 30, 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mayor Flinn,
    Please keep it zoned 1 acre parcels.

    ReplyDelete