Saturday, November 17, 2012

Palmetto Bay runoff election. For whom am I voting for? Do I dare disturb the universe?

Palmetto Bay voters: Are you ready to tee it up again and walk the gauntlet this Tuesday, November 20? At stake is the future of Palmetto Bay, a community hard fought for by so many of us. This election is for the Vice Mayor and Council District 2 seats.

I have been asked where I stand on the remaining candidates. I am obviously undecided at this late hour, but not on whom I will vote for – my choices have been made long ago. I remain undecided as to whether I will share my choices publicly – I ask myself, do I dare, do I dare?


My choices are based upon what we need in the village. So as I ponder whether my friends would like to hear my choices, I leave you with Elvis Costello, performing “What’s so funny about peace, love and understanding.”  May we never see an election or better yet, a council that feuds amongst itself, that refuses to be supportive of their brethren on the dais, spreading falsehoods against honorable public servants like Howard Tendrich (but that is another story for after the run-offs). Until then, “Do I dare disturb the universe?”


For those less musically-minded, more literature oriented, I offer excerpts from The Love-Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, by T.S. Eliot (CLICK HERE to read the entire poem.  There will be a test as to if and if so, why this poem is appropriate.)


Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question. . .
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
Let us go and make our visit.

  * * *

  And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair— 
[They will say: "How his hair is growing thin!"]

No comments:

Post a Comment