Monday, October 7, 2024

Update - Roosters taking root in Palmetto Bay

The non-native population of chickens and roosters continue to grown rapidly here in Palmetto Bay.  A fellow resident posted the following regarding chickens in Palmetto Bay Park on Next Door - I am posting part here for content, but protecting her identity:

Hello Neighbors. I had posted about my love of animals (even the ones I would never want to touch), and I have found a couple beautiful roosters and chickens that were dumped in the Palmetto Bay Park near my home. I would love to know that someone could catch them and give them a safe home. Please contact me if I can help you catch them.

I would never ever want them to be tortured and killed like the ducks in our park.

(bold emphasis added)

Note how this animal lover fears that harm may come to these hens and rosters much like the mayhem that Palmetto Bay Officials caused to the ducks at Coral Reef Park.

Some interesting and telling comments to the post:

I bring them rice etc. but they don’t belong in the park and someone’s gonna hurt them. I don’t know about you but I’ve lived here 32 years and not until this past year did I see them

***   ***   *** 

I've seen those in the area for a while (over a year) . Don't think they were dumped. I do believe they are cared for by someone in the area.

Note that many people raised chickens in Palmetto Bay long before the Vice Mayor promoted Ordinance 2023-12, but we have seen an explosion of chickens and roosters establishing feral locations since this law. Some call the non-native loose roosters nature's alarm clocks while others simply refer to them as a nuisance. I even heard from a chicken keeper that she fears roosters visiting her hen house and fertilizing the eggs. No one wants to crack open a fertilized egg. Ordinance 2023-12 may have been well intentioned, but it was not well thought out or implemented.

Prior RELATED POSTS:

August 14, 2024, Reader submissions - Chickens & Roosters multiplying at Coral Reef Park - non-native species appear to be thriving.

August 1, 2024, Chickens can be raised properly in Palmetto Bay - It was done. That was before Ordinance 2023-12.

July 22, 2024, Coral Reef Park and the Mangowood community have a morning wake up alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment