Tuesday, February 22, 2022

"Happy Presidents' Day to all who celebrate." ??? Whaaaaaat?

 Interesting buzz - 

Ken Jennings on Jeopardy (Monday, February 21, 2022):

"Happy Presidents' Day to all who celebrate."
What was that I just heard? Did he really say that? Quite a buzz. Thought provoking. Was this an awkward or perhaps a political statement made for an episode that was probably recorded at least 2 months in advance, set to air on a specific day.

At least this is a holiday where no politically correct method of observation is required. As I asked (in my official recognition post for Presidents Day) "Do you celebrate this federal holiday by reflecting upon legacies of past presidents, simply relaxing over a long weekend, taking in annual community events, taking advantage of sales or none of the above?"

But "Happy Presidents' Day to all who celebrate." - really? Let's not inflict this on anyone who may not celebrate. And I hope those who chose not to celebrate it went to work rather than spending it as a day at the beach.

Actually I did both - I celebrated Presidents' Day and went to work, someone has to earn money and pay those taxes, including local, State and Federal. Besides, It is one of those days I call a traffic holiday, when traffic is so light it would be a shame not to take advantage.
I could find no local parades for Presidents' Day. I did not find even a blood drive. Were there any public events where the names of the US Presidents were read aloud? As I have noted, Sadly, by some, it is better known commercially as the Presidents' Day Sale where we celebrate and save with great deals! Providing for an extra 15 - 20% off plus free shipping (online)!

So once again I ask if there are there people who actually "celebrate" President's Day? Like, how? By buying a mattress?

Things to consider. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment