Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Norman Brothers Produce Inc. will be officially closing on August 8th, 2021 at 5PM. An end of an era.

I saw the notice online and it caught my attention. Last call is set for 5 PM on August 8. I bet the lines will be long.

I had many good times there. I am old enough to remember Norman Brothers before their current (for now) location as it existed prior to SW 87 Avenue widened to four-lanes.  I am a long-time customer starting through my parents. Alexandra and I went there while at UM and then introduced our daughters to their shakes. We have most recently used it as a bicycle destination, where we earned a guilt free shake! 

Norman Brothers will end at 3 generations of the Flinn family. I know some families went longer into their family tree. Norman Brothers is a Galloway Road classic, much like Arbetters Hotdogs (Bird & 87th, close enough) and Frankie's Pizza (if you generously include a turn west onto Bird Road). Relax, neither Arbetters or Frankies are going anywhere anytime in the foreseeable future. 

More background on why it is closing, see the Miami-Herald (for subscribers): ‘End of an era’: Zoning approved to replace Norman Brothersmarket with seniors home, by Douglas Hanks, May 19, 2021.

An end of an era. We still can ride to Pinecrest Wayside Market (10070 SW 57 Avenue) as well as Robert is Here [waaaaay out there (a great ride, BTW)].

I will miss Norman Brothers. Some great times. I watched that business evolve as I grew up. Another area that I saw move from farm / horse country to what makes up Miami today. I pass by it each and every time I head home from my mother's house. It will not be pleasant to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment