Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Fact Checking: There never was any $7.5 million in County Transportation money available to the Village to use as it wanted, or to repurpose. There was a County proposal to 4 lane SW 87th Avenue beginning from 216th Street north into Palmetto Bay. I opposed that in 2003

Urban legends and myths. Some people love a good conspiracy. Here is the myth of the day:
I have a question...
Our Founding Mayor likes to brag about turning down 7.5 million dollars from the county.
Did he do that unilaterally or did the council vote on it.
He talks about 4 laning 87th but he never mentioned the 87th Avenue bridge.
Was what the money could be used for negotiable??
Asking for a lot of Friends.
My answer: No. A grant or appropriation from government requires significant work through applications. I know, under my administration, Palmetto Bay brought in tens of millions of dollars – from as small as a thousand or two for our police DARE programs to $3.2 million through the Florida Communities Trust (for Thalatta Estate) to a GOB appropriation of $7.5 million (Franjo Road). 

Here was my response. I’d love to see the alleged documents. 
Please have your friends provide me with the actual documents for this alleged grant. There was never any $7.5 million to use as the village likes. I post links to documents (when available, so please, have your sources show me theirs). I did OPPOSE the widening of 87th avenue as the County has never wanted to relieve congestion for our neighborhoods, only open up a flood gate of traffic. I take it that you want our 87th avenue to look and flow as 87th avenue from Kendall Drive north through Doral. That is where the County is going and that is a great example of your ‘complete grid’.  
SEE: Palmetto Bay Resolution 03-22 , March 3, 2003
A RESOLUTION OF THE MAYOR AND VILLAGE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF PALMETTO BAY, FLORIDA, OPPOSING THE WIDENING OF S.W. 87 AVENUE WITHIN VILLAGE LIMITS, AS PROPOSED UNDER THE PEOPLE’S TRANSPORTATION PLAN; PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE. (Vote 5-0: Mayor Flinn: Yes; Vice Mayor Robinson: Yes; Councilmember Feller: Yes; Councilmember Neidhart: Yes; Councilmember Breder: Yes)
If this was a $7.5 million project, I guarantee you that they were not going to allow the Village to repurpose this money for a park or a butterfly garden.And yes, I unabashedly OPPOSE any widening of 87th Avenue.
And yes, at one time, Palmetto Bay was recognized as a partner with Miami-Dade County on projects (WHEREAS, the cities presently incorporated were made an essential partner with the County in the selection of projects and in working hand in hand with Miami-Dade County for approval of the Transportation Plan: ...")
I will wait for the production of some actual documents, not rumors, to review and respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment