Sunday, June 4, 2017

Guest Post - Coyotes in Palmetto Bay? What have you seen?

Guest post - legitimate concerns about Coyote sightings here in Palmetto Bay.  I have posted a poor quality photo.  Please send me your sightings.

From
Suzanne Dundee Bonner:

Last week, I came across several postings in the site nextdoor.com, from Palmetto Bay residents, of coyote sightings.


These sightings took place near Deering Estate and adjacent to Bill Sadowski Park. At one such sighting, the coyote was seen going after a cat in their backyard.

I have checked with a reliable source at Miami Dade Parks, who confirmed that coyotes, as well as foxes, are in this area, and have been for some time. My source also confirmed that coyotes will target small animals and mammals.


According to many news articles, there are precautions that can and should be taken, to help prevent these encounters from turning bad. Here are some of the highlights:

Do not let small children or pets out from dusk to dawn, unattended. It is said that any pet smaller than a German Shepard should not be let out alone in your yard. Do not leave any pet food dishes, bird seed, or fruit in your backyard. Be careful of any confrontation with coyotes, since many carry diseases, and could attack, if provoked.


I am attaching a link to provide you with a photo of a coyote that are known to roam the South Florida areas, including the Palmetto Bay Village areas.


Suzanne Dundee Bonner
Palmetto Bay


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 15, 2017

    I saw 2 the morning of 6/15/17 in the neighborhood just West of Old Cutler road and 152 st

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Lance Ruffe and I have lived in Miami my entire life, 44 years, in the Old Cutler Road area, the Grove and now Pinecrest for the past 10 years. About 10 days ago on July 30 I left my house in Pinecrest (Devonwood Area) at about 6:15 am, pulled out of my driveway and saw a lone Coyote jogging right down the middle of the street, I couldn't believe it, I followed it for about 50 yards and then it ran into a neighboring yard and disappeared. I have seen foxes from time to time, but this was undeniably a coyote, and I was shocked at its size, about 75 lbs at least, resembling a taller yet more slender German Shepard. It looked very healthy and was noticeably startled by me. Probably a once in a lifetime experience for me and felt privileged to see it!

    ReplyDelete