Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Different places with the same issues - "Stop honking at me and support bike infrastructure"

Outstanding read. I have experience both as a bicyclist and a driver. 

Please review the article from MINNPOST - posted on June 5, 2015, by Lindsey Wallace: Stop honking at me and support bike infrastructure Biking in Mpls

The author's points are well made: 
"If you want cyclists to get out of your way, support funding for dedicated bike lanes. Bikes cannot ride on the sidewalk, so don’t assume that’s an option. The street is all we have, and the only option is to share the road. I don’t want to feel your wrath as I’m trying to enjoy my morning commute; I don’t want to inconvenience you. I’m sorry you’re frustrated, but I don’t have a choice."

There is lively debate from all sides in the comment section.  I worked hard as Mayor of Palmetto Bay in my first two terms to improve our infrastructure.  The Village prepared a Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan back in 2009.  I returned to office to continue the vision.  I am committed to moving forward to improve our city, making it bike and car friendly and safe for all.

Please work with me to make this a reality.  Palmetto Bay's Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan is a start, but it needs to be fully implemented.  CLICK HERE to view Palmetto Bay's Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan posted on the official Village web site (please be patient with the download. It is 52 pages).

No comments:

Post a Comment