Saturday, June 1, 2013

The secret harvest in Palmetto Bay. Could more than mangoes be targeted?

A secret harvest? I was surprised to find someone next to my car this Saturday morning picking mangoes at first light. 

It's one thing to pick up mangoes from the easement. In fact, I prefer it, it saves me from picking them up. There are people with ongoing permission to take a few of our mangoes. We are often asked by passersby. Commercial vendors also pay neighbors for harvesting their fruit. That is the accepted protocol. But I was shocked to see this grey truck (OK, so you really can't make it out in the photo) this morning with the occupants working as a team, driver and picker, going down the various yards with mango trees out front and help themselves to a harvest.   Not just on the street, but up deep into the yards.
I obviously failed to get a good picture of the truck. These guys may be picking your mangoes or worse cleaning the change out of your car or helping themselves to any other personal belongings if you failed to keep it locked. Crimes of opportunity masquerading as "I was only picking a few mangoes."

Keep an eye out and don't hesitate to take down a tag number or photo with your cell phone (I had to unlock mine). Please avoid any confrontations.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 01, 2013

    I hope you called the police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. And I am sure that our policing unit will keep an eye out.

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJune 12, 2013

    I have witnessed these "Mango Thiefs" numerous times along the neigborhood side of Palmetto Bay Park. Upsets me!

    ReplyDelete