Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Please don't cite me $150 through Code Enforcement as I am following the County rules. Please, Palmetto Bay, do not interfere with my essential County services.

No Palmetto Bay resident should fear a $150 citation from Palmetto Bay for a garbage cart, especially when the residents are following County rules. This post will provide information on how to request service for broken county trash carts, provide necessary links as well as to educate our current members of our village council how to not to put residents at risk of fines. The interesting part is that the vice mayor is terming out (serving nearly 8 years to date), the mayor is entering her 6th year of service, and this is the second time in office for council member Fiore. They all should know better.

The background: see May 19, 2020, Q: How much does it cost to leave your garbage can out in Palmetto Bay? A: $150. Palmetto Bay has gone mad.

I remember the fight to incorporate Palmetto Bay. The promise was we could (and did) do more for our residents by keeping our UMSA money home. A specific issue was staying government lite and not becoming the next Coral Gables or Boca Raton by way of aggressive code enforcement. But new administrations bring new policies and new priorities. The current mayor promised a new direction for Palmetto Bay in the 2018 elections and, well, you've got one. Palmetto Bay certainly has embarked upon a new direction under this current mayor, has reduced transparency, held far too numerous to easily track special council meetings - or keep up with, as well as busted budgets and increased taxes and park user fees.

I detailed the story of Palmetto Bay Code Enforcement issuing a $150.00 ticket to a homeowner, a nurse - for leaving her garbage cart out too long! Not that they actually have the power to, but I am betting that this code enforcement citation has been ‘torn up’ in response to the justified outrage that followed this $150 citation (this will make for a interesting public records request, to track this ticket and its resolution).

My request: Please Palmetto Bay officials - do not interfere with my right to receive Miami-Dade County services, as per the protocol put in place by Miami-Dade County. Take any issues up with the County, but please refrain from issuing citations to any residents following County rules. 

My current situation: My trash cart is broken and it requires repair or replacement. I really wasn't paying attention until several residents contacted me regarding the homeowner ticket as detailed on May 19. One in particular advised that Miami-Dade County requires the homeowner to leave their trash cart out front (by the street) in order to receive a repair or replacement. I went to the online 3-1-1 page and sure enough, this information is correct:

I have made my request for service to my trash cart - see photos documenting damage. I am following the County instructions. 
I do have a Service Request Number:
20-10335909
Following county guidelines:  My trash cart will remain out and accessible as requested by the County - this repair or replacement should be perfected anywhere from today to 10 days (similar to bulk waste pickup). 

Please Palmetto Bay - I am following the County protocol - please don't issue me a ticket for following the process set by Miami-Dade County.

INFORMATION AND LINKS TO MIAMI-DADE COUNTY ONLINE 3-1-1 FOR SERVICE

CLICK HERE to be taken to Miami-Dade County's 311 Direct - the page to submit a service request. Services include (but many others are listed): Animals, bulky waste pick-ups, missed garbage pickups or recycling, mosquitoes, senior meal assistance and, of course, requesting repair / replacement of the damaged green waste cart as well as blue recycling carts.
Please Palmetto Bay officials - do not interfere with my right to receive Miami-Dade County services, as per the protocol put in place by Miami-Dade County. Take any issues up with the County, but please refrain from issuing citations to any residents following County rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment