Life changed forever.
Andrew came ashore near high tide with a near 17 foot storm tide on August 24, 1992. Bye, bye Burger King World Headquarters in (pre) Palmetto Bay, one of the featured corporate victims of the storm. I recall the huge damage to the Datran Center and the inability to navigate back home immediately after the storm.
- Andrew was born as a result of a tropical wave which moved off the west coast of Africa wave and passed south of the Cape Verde Islands (Cape Verde Storms are often known as creating the most intense)
- Andrew became a tropical storm on August 17, 1992 and became a hurricane on August 22. It strengthened to a strong category 4 hurricane the next day.
- The central pressure was 922 millibars at landfall in southern Miami-Dade County.
- Andrew caused an estimated $25 billion in damage in Miami-Dade County.
- Andrew moved northwest across the Gulf of Mexico to make a second landfall in Louisiana as a Category 3 storm on August 26.
- Andrew directly caused 23 deaths in the U.S. and indirectly caused 38 more.
- 25,524 homes were deemed destroyed
- 101,241 homes were damaged.
- And, as a lasting legacy of Hurricane Andrew, Windstorm Coverage was created, eventually bringing us Citizen’s. Homeowner’s insurance has never been the same.