Monday, April 21, 2014

I have them in my Palmetto Bay yard. Do you? Dr Strangebug or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Lubbers - Home & Garden - MiamiHerald.com

Dr Strangebug or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Lubbers - Home & Garden - MiamiHerald.com 
Welcome Earth Week. How is your yard doing this year?  Connie Ogle of the Miami Herald writes about the annual infestation of the eastern lubber grasshopper or romalea microptera.

2014 - A lubber dining in my Palmetto Bay garden
I recommend this article for all garden hobbyists, or those just interested in what is going on in their yards.

Ms. Ogle discusses that there is no downside to letting the lubbers run wild

For those paying attention, the eggs usually hatch in February in South Florida; females lay eggs in the summer; and everything dies down again during the late fall and early winter months. Right now, the grasshoppers are still black, for the most part. Soon they’ll turn yellow, almost orange, which is even prettier until you realize it’s a warning that says to birds: I’m poison. Eat me at your own peril. Then they go green.

1 comment: