Saturday, January 9, 2021

Great experience at Jackson South - took my mother for her COVID vaccine on Friday, 1/8/2020

I commend the staff at Jackson South. We completed the first of two steps in inoculating my mother for COVID. I often have some constructive observations for how to improve things, but I have none in this instance. Everything was set up well and everything moved much better than I dared to expect. I feared a traffic back up, a parking crunch, a long walk for my elderly mother to get to the specific department - but was pleased to find no fears realized. I was even able to accompany her throughout the process. In other words, our luck continued. It did not end at scoring the appointment.

The experience was easy. Parking was directly in front of the line. Out of the car into the line (we were luck on the specific parking spot that the police officer directed us to). The line itself moved quickly. We were in and out in less than fifty-five (55) minutes, and that includes the 15 minute required wait time post injection.

Staff was professional, as you would expect. The lines provided for proper social distancing. Everyone was wearing masks (and properly wearing their masks). Everyone was pleasant from staff to the other patients waiting for their turn, but of course everyone is happy. We all felt like we won the lottery. So many of my friends are 0 - 4 for scheduling appointments for the vaccinations- Jackson, Tropical Park, Baptist Health Systems, and then Hard Rock Stadium. We feel lucky to have the first of two shots out of the way.

My mother's second and final appointment is set for the end of this month, January. It will be a relief when she is set - one down, with date in hand for the second and final. But there is still the issue as to the rest of my family - and myself - to go, without even a projected date for when we can reasonably expect our doses. And then, will we be as lucky as my mother and get the appointments promptly when our numbers are called or will it be our turn to go 0-4 or 0 for more when they reach to the younger, more active age groups? We are still at 65 and older. I am concerned with when and if my number gets called. After all, will our respective age groups be called or will be be competing in a larger pool that includes those over 65 still fighting for their inoculations?

We joked that my mother can now do the grocery shopping for the rest of us once her immunization is complete (she cannot), but at least I wont have to worry about bringing COVID home to her. 

But the sobering fact remains that the rest of the family remain at risk as we do not have the luxury of maintaining a sealed bubble at home. We need to get more doses to the professionals at Jackson South. The COVID vaccine needs to get off the production line and into our arms at a much faster rate. I have seen the delivery. And we, the taxpayers, have done our part by providing the tax dollars for the research and development. The issue now is delivery so let's put aside the photo ops, the government officials selfishly butting the line, and speed up the supply. Quiet honestly, the elected officials should anchor the line, not butting it. 

Again, there are professional PR staff to release the information. I prefer elected officials who are busy in meetings and public hearings setting up delivery and making sure the distribution is properly funded for success. 

Thank you Jackson South.

No comments:

Post a Comment