Thursday, September 13, 2018

Positive news. Palmetto Bay's property tax rate to drop once again this coming year, another historic low, reaffirming the concept of "government lite" in Palmetto Bay.

Property Tax rate reduced to 2.280 at first budget hearing - 
the lowest property tax millage rate in Palmetto Bay History.
I am reaffirming fiscal responsibility & government lite

Dear Fellow Palmetto Bay resident,
Good news - my goal of a second tax reduction in the last four years will be realized.  The property tax millage rate has been dropped to 2.280 -  which is the lowest property tax rate in Palmetto Bay's history.  I will work hard to get the property tax rate lower. A realistic goal is 2.260 at the second and final budget hearing scheduled for Monday, September 24, 2018, at 7:00 PM

The property tax rate reduction is appropriate for this budget, but I waited until each council member and staff had their priorities funded. We have funded our Police, Parks, Parks Programming, Planning (our master plans and studies), Planning & zoning, and even for our pupils - the additional police cost to cover the shortfalls of the School Board.  This is all for the benefit of our Palmetto Bay residents.  We have priorities funded for traffic calming, economic development and our special events.  We have strong reserves. But once again, it is time to set a realistic property tax millage rate and not take money from our residents that is not needed.

Please note that public safety remains fully funded.  I will never support a cut to our collective security.  

But far too often, government spends money simply because it has the revenue to spend.  This causes 'budget creep' - new spending each and every year to cover increase in property values.  Adjusting your property tax millage rate to match the budget is the appropriate vehicle to prevent expenditures creeping up to keep pace with revenues. 

Working with Councilman David Singer, we went line for line in the proposed budget and we identified significant areas of savings. The collective fiscal leadership was reflected in the unanimous 5-0 vote on this budget at first reading as well as to establish the historic low of 2.280.

I am proud that we could once again reduce taxes. I conservatively stated my goal on September 7, that we can, and therefore, I'd like to see our property tax millage rate reduced to 2.2900 or at least to a round figure of 2.300.  At that time I did not know the level of support for a reduction.  

I did express my commitment to "Government Lite".  This is OUR money, YOUR money, and you need to stay involved. This is the third time in the last of four years that I have recommend a drop our property tax rate.  (CLICK HERE) to view my positive budget message of 9/7/2018, advocating for this property tax relief after my full review of this proposed budget.
Please take the time to review the proposed budget and provide input.  You may access the agenda package on the Village website (CLICK HERE). Please note that the complete Agenda package consists of 155 pages, out of which, the proposed budget is 143 pages.

SECOND BUDGET HEARING - Monday, September 24, 2018, 7:00 PM
 
Various budget workshops have been held, but as always, I always remain available to discuss any budget ideas, questions or concerns.  Please contact me via e-mail at eflinn@palmettobay-fl.gov or via phone at (305) 302-3713 to discuss.

THANK YOU! To my fellow council members, staff and all of our fellow Palmetto Bay residents for the collaboration on this budget. Work continues. 
 
Your Mayor.
 
Eugene Flinn

CLICK HERE to view my e-blast released at 11 AM on 9/13/2018 regarding the budget (essentially the same information as above)

No comments:

Post a Comment