Friday, December 9, 2016

Dec 9 - I am proud to participate in Miami-Dade County's #PublicTransitDay

Today, Friday, December 9, 2016 is the first-ever "#PublicTransitDay" in Miami-Dade County.  I will be participating.

I am pleased to be cited in the Miami Herald as one official who regularly uses public transportation - and yes, there are many days I take my car.  Its a matter of using it when I can and recognizing that I actually save commuting time and traffic gridlock along US1, while also relieving me of downtown parking hassles and expense by using MetroRail/MetroMover.  See: Miami Herald, 12/8/2016: Discounts! Freebies! But you’ll have to ditch your car and take the bus, by Monique O. Madan

The community-wide day is aimed at encouraging people to use public transportation and use the hashtag #PublicTransitDay on social media while they commute. What started out as a Miami-focused effort has now expanded to include transit riders and leaders in Broward and Palm Beach counties as well.

My family has used MetroRail (as have many others) to commute down to events at the (now demolished) Miami Arena for events such as Heat or Panther games - or the Ice Shows - or down to the Miami Book Fairs.  We often took MetroRail from the Datran South, South Miami or UM Stations to games/events at the Orange Bowl.

Today may not be your day to participate in #PublicTransitDay, but I look forward to your participation.

And, as the #PublicTransitDay sponsor ask, please tweet or post out your experiences today for all to see, using the hastag "#PublicTransitDay"

Have a great day, 

Eugene Flinn, Mayor
Palmetto Bay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment